Monday, May 2, 2011

No soliciting!

I really need to get on of those signs for my door. When we first moved into our house in town I didn't think we really got that many solicitors, but that is only because I worked all day and they came when I was not at home. Now that I am home all the time it seems like they are always knocking at my door. There timing is horrible. It seems like they always come during nap time or on a day that I  haven't taken a shower yet or am not wearing a bra.

We have had some very interesting people come to the door wanting us to buy there stuff. Here are a couple of things they should know before they knock.  If I open my door and you look like you are living on the streets and don't have any teeth, I am not going to let you in my house.  If you can't remember what company you work for, I am not letting you in my house.  If you come during my kids' nap time, you are keeping me from taking my nap and that will not help your sales one bit. Mama needs her nap!

On saturday we had a guy selling vacuums come to the door. The first mistake he made was coming to my door at 8:00pm. The second mistake was coming when I didn't have my bra on. Have I mentioned how much I hate answering the door when I am not wearing a bra? When I opened the door he was all cheery and handed me a container of clorox wipes. He then said he was with a new company and would get $35 if he would let me do his demonstration. I said I wasn't interested. He started whining and begging and said I was his last house of the night. I asked what he was selling and he said vacuum cleaners. I said nope, not interested at all and he got mad at me and rudely stuck his hand out to take the clorox wipes away from me. He then tried to leave but the back of his shirt got stuck on the handle of my screen door and he couldn't move. It was a very awkward situation. Do I shut my door while there is a strange man with clorox wipes hanging on my screen door, or do I keep it open until he gets himself free? I started closing the door right as I heard him about to say a naughty word, and then I started opening it again because I just wasn't sure what to do about him, and then I remembered how rude he was and I just shut the door and hoped he would free himself before we went to bed. Just a minute later I saw him angrily stomping to the next house. There are times I really don't like that screen door but that night I appreciated it very much.

I think I may just write a letter to all solicitors and hang it on my door.

Dear solicitors,
I am probably napping and may or may not be wearing a bra. Do not bother to knock, just continue on to the next house.
Thank you

5 comments:

  1. its a good thing you know my vacume cleaner salesman story, it probably helped you say no. for the sake of my husband i wont repeat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but it's a great story,Angey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably wouldn't mention what you may NOT be wearing ..that may encourage a long line of unwanted door knockers..but the note is a great idea ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! That note is perfect, I may have to use it myself. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we were in high school, my brother stayed home sick from school one day and the Jehovah's Witnesses came to the door. He didn't want to answer it so he yelled out "I have leprousy." They went away but came back a week later and asked my Mom how he was feeling.

    ReplyDelete