Thursday, February 17, 2011

One of my greatest fears

I have never been good at art....ever. One of the things I dreaded most when I was in grade school and high school was having to draw pictures. No matter what grade I was in my drawings always looked like they were made by a kindergartner, a blind kindergartner. It truly was embarrassing.
Now that I am out of school I thought I would never have to draw another thing in my life. And then I had children. I remember the first time Connor asked me to draw something for him. I can't tell you the panic that had set in. I just knew that he would look at my drawing and see that his mother was in fact, not super woman and can't do everything. Sure she is good for getting the cars from behind the dresser and the stuffed animals from under the bed, but she can't draw worth beans. Its my cryptonite. I knew I would be judged. But because I love my son I put my pride aside and drew him the whale he was asking me to draw. Side note-Whenever my son sings the Old McDonald had a farm song, there is always a whale on the farm. And that whale is the only thing on the farm. I think he has been living in the suburbs too long. Anyways. So I draw him his whale and show it to him. He looks at it and then looks at me and says, "no, mom this is a flounder, I wanted a whale." Fail. Well at least it looked like a fish. It actually looked like a gold fish cracker to me. Who doesn't like a gold fish cracker?!
I think things wouldn't be so bad if I didn't marry Mr. I Can Draw Anything Free Hand And It Will Look Awesome And Make My Wife Look Unawesome. For example Connor asked me do draw him some trains yesterday.

No, Connor didn't draw these....it was me.
And then Scott gets home and Connor asks him to draw some trains.

But mister over achiever can't just draw a train, he has to draw a water tower and cows, and make them 3D. You see what I have to live with. I am surprised Connor still asks me to draw things for him. I just know, one of these days he will be telling Olivia to not ask mom to draw, but to wait until dad gets home.
The trains I made for Connor have been cast aside. And where is the "art" as Connor keeps calling it, that Scott made? Well it's in his room. He is playing with it right now for room time. And it was the first thing he mentioned when he woke up this morning. Now I must go cuddle Olivia. She loves me just the way I am. I can still draw better than her.

8 comments:

  1. I totally empathize. I too am married to an over-achiever. For what it's worth, I thought your trains looked much happier and friendlier than Scott's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just point out that Scott's train is PURPLE! Dude... fail! I liked your trains Amy! And if it makes you feel better... when Hayden asks me to draw him something I pull up a picture on the computer and print it - let google do the hard work for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, there many things you can do that I can't. What good would we be to our kids if both of us could draw, but not do anything else???

    For the record Kelly, I did search for a red crayon, however, Connor has a limited supply and some aren't Crayola. Its just not the same without Crayola! So I used what I had to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! Why does Connor only think whales live on the farm? You guys need to get that kid out more! I am the same way Amy, I cannot draw at all and TJ is mr. artist, unfair I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, Amy, Amy....... You ARE the best. Maybe not the artist that you could have been, but you really make up for it in creative writing. I think I am going to sell this story.... If only I could find an artist with some money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it !..and for the record..I recognized Thomas ..it was thomas wasn't it ?...I'm not sure of my trains. And how on earth does Conner know what a flounder is ? ..has he secretly been watching Jaques Coustau??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol- yes, it was Thomas. And Connor went through a sea creature phase at one time, although I think Flounder was just the first fish that came to his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You draw better than I can, Amy. Infact I won't even draw for my children. I make them do it themselves or wait till Erik gets home (now don't you feel better as a mother?!) And Scott do not make excuses for your color choices. Just man-up, Buddy!:)

    ReplyDelete