Monday, March 14, 2011

The Big Road

So let me just begin by saying that I am not an adventurous person at all. My most recent adventure was roller skating - I know, I'm a wild woman.  I am also not a big fan of change. I don't like anything different. I almost hyperventilate if I have to grocery shop any where else than where I usually go. I practically wander around the store with a confused look on my face wondering how I got there and what aisle I should start in. So after living my whole life (24 years) in a small town, in a old farm house in the country, I got married and moved to the big city-Wilsonville. Talk about culture shock. I had to grocery shop at strange and foreign stores like Albertsons. I had to go to a brand new library. But the worst of all was that I had to find a new route to the mall. 

I would start out by hopping on the free way (I-5, I just had to ask my husband what that road was called) and then exit onto 205. I would continue driving on 205 until I saw the exit for Oregon City. I would then exit the freeway turn around in Home Depot's parking lot and get back on the freeway. Little did I know I was getting right back on the freeway I had just exited. I thought I was getting on a brand new road that would take me to the mall. One day  I decided I would be brave and adventurous and see where this big road (205) would take me if I went passed the Oregon City exit. Lo, and behold, I ended up at the mall! I was shocked and completely embarrased with myself when I realized I had been exiting and then getting right back on the same freeway.

When I got home and told my husband what I had discovered he just stared at me and shook his head. I don't think he knew how to respond to what I had just told him. He then asked me if when I was leaving the mall (before my great discovery) I got off the freeway at Oregon City, and then got right back on . I thought about that a minute and then realized that no, I stayed on 205 the whole time until I had to get back on I-5. Apparently the big road could take me home but not to the mall. That is when I felt really really stupid.  Now everytime I got to the mall I remember my embarrasing discovery and have to laugh at myself all over again. I am so glad we moved back to the country and I can drive on familiar roads again!

8 comments:

  1. I was pretty dumbfounded, and very uncertain how to react. It was too early in the marriage to damage it by busting up laughing at the crazy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still my favorite story of you... confession, I can't drive past Home Depot on my way to 205 without thinking about you and laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha, hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. assembling the fake Christmas tree upside down and wondering why it looked odd is a close second to this story. this one is definitely my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. now you have me curious, Angey. You must tell the fake Christmas tree story right away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I forgot about the upside down Christmas tree. I may have assembled the fake Christmas tree wrong one year and put it together upside down. In my defense most of the labels were missing off the branches so I couldn't tell which branch went where.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this story. I've told it myself many a time :) We love you Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love you Amy..you fit right in with our family's hilarious moments too...I can't believe we're not actually related!!

    ReplyDelete