Friday, June 24, 2011

He's got a sensitive side....

and I am not talking about Scott, although he really does and I am pretty sure he cries more than I do, but those are stories for another time. Today I am talking about Connor. I started to see the sensitive side of my son when one day we were watching the kids movie "Meet the Robinsons" with my mom and sister. The scene came on where it shows the mom leaving her baby on the door step of the orphanage, and I happen to look over at Connor and his eyes are filled with tears and I can see he is trying his hardest not to cry. I barely managed to ask Connor what was wrong before I burst into tears myself at the sight of my four year old so broken hearted that a mom was leaving her baby behind. He looked at me with giant tears in his eyes and said, "mom, why is the mom leaving her baby? She is not supposed to leave her baby." My mom and I were both in tears and trying to compose ourselves so I could explain to him what was going on. He still didn't get it and just continued to cry. Talk about and emotionally draining Disney movie. We will never be watching that movie again.

Then today, my mom brought over Charlotte's Web that she had just bought at a garage sale. I put it in for the kids and they seemed to like it. Then came the part where Charlotte was about to die. Connor looks at me worriedly and asks what is wrong with Charlotte. I told him that she is going to die. I didn't think he would be so concerned about the fate of this spider. He looks at me panicked and says, "Mom, turn this movie off right now. Please, mom right now! This is too sad!" So I turned it off right before the end. This is probably another movie that will never be watched again. I already know that Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows are movies that will not be watched in this house. I can just imagine the shattered pieces of my sons broken heart those movies would cause. We will just stick with the natural disaster movies, apparently he can handle those ones. 

1 comment:

  1. You should skip pass the part where Charlotte dies and show him the happy ending of two of her babies staying with Wilbur forever! That will restore his faith movies:)

    ReplyDelete