Friday, January 28, 2011

Spiders and Uncomfortable Situations

My son has recently acquired a fascination with Spiderman which seems innocent enough until he starts webbing everyone in church with his MIDDLE finger. And no, he wasn’t in the back row, he was at the very front of the church right by the Pastors.

This love of Spiderman has developed into a love of spiders themselves. He has a Spiderman book that has taught him the names of different types of spiders. He can now identify Phidipus jumping spiders, net casting spiders, St. Andrew Cross spiders, and several others. He loves to watch movies of spiders. But, he doesn’t want to watch cartoon spiders, he wants to watch National Geographic spider movies, which really creep me out. I get the heebie jeebies every time I watch those movies, but he loves them. So today we are watching a documentary on spiders and the Tarantulas start mating. Call me immature but I am uncomfortable with the mating habits of spiders….well of any bug or animal for that matter. I think there should be a warning on those movies: “Attention parents: If you are watching this with your four year old be aware that there are mating spiders in this movie and it will prompt questions from your child that you are not ready to answer.” I am not ever going to let him watch Animal Planet.

So of course he asks me what those spiders are doing, and after I regained consciousness from passing out due to panic at answering that uncomfortable question, the scene was over and a tarantula was now getting eaten by a wasp. That caught his attention and the crisis was averted.

I will now be screening all animal and insect documentaries beforehand.

Oh, and we have since showed him the correct and less offensive way of webbing.
Have a great day and beware the dangers of Spiderman

1 comment:

  1. I loved this ...can't wait to hear what comes next...totally feel the same about mating animals , bugs etc ..and not just when minors are present!!
    ( sorry ..I am way behind in blog reading and trying to catch up )

    ReplyDelete