Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Trip to Bauman Farms aka A Not so Proud Mommy Moment

Today the kids and I went with a group of friends to visit a great place called Bauman Farms. It is a wonderful farm that has mazes, a pumpkin patch, tractor rides, a playground, animals that the kids can pet and feed, and so much more. We had a fantastic time and because today is Connor's 5th birthday he thought it was a party for him, which is great because his actual party isn't for another 2 weeks. Here are couple of shots from our day at the farm. When you look at these pictures you will realize why I don't take pictures of my children more often. They just don't get the concept of smiling at a camera. And don't even tell them to say cheese, it doesn't work.
"Liv, look at the camera."

"No, Livvie, smile at the camera."   

"Olivia, pay attention! Look at the camera!"  

My big five year old. He makes my heart happy.  

Saying cheese.


 And by now you are probably wondering what my not so proud mommy moment was. Well, let me just tell you I had a panic attack in the dark corn maze. I seriously almost layed down on the floor in the fetal position and waited for someone to come rescue me and my two children. The only way into this dark maze was down a huge slide. Connor went down first and then I forced Olivia to come down with me. The minute we landed at the bottom of the slide I knew I made a huge mistake. It was pitch black in there and all I could feel were walls all around me and no way out. So I did what any responsible mommy with two kids depending on her would do...I started screaming at my friends. I could see my friend Kelly through a small crack in the wall so I started yelling at her, "I can't see anything! I am panicking! My heart is pounding! Get help! Did I mention I am panicking!" So my friend Jodi came into the dark abyss and saved us. If it wasn't for her I am not sure what would have happened to me. We were able to feel our way out of the maze. I crawled through part of it until Jodi asked me why I was crawling because it was tall enough to stand up and walk through. (Sometimes I do ridiculous things.) Jodi is now my hero, I even hugged her when we got out of the maze.

I had a feeling before I even went down the slide that this was going to be a bad idea. It was probably the Holy Spirit warning me not to go in there, but I didn't listen. "How dark could it be?" I thought. Next time I will listen to those warnings since now I am afraid to even blink my eyes. I also had to apologize to my children for taking them in there, I should have known better. But I have to say they handled the whole thing better than I did. They held my hand and calmly walked through the maze while I just kept praying that I wouldn't pass out and have to be drug to the end. So my friends, make sure you listen to those little warnings even if what you are going to do doesn't seem like a big deal, you may find your self in a situation you are not able to deal with.

5 comments:

  1. You all will be happy to know I downloaded a flashlight app on her phone after hearing the story, course she didn't use her phone for light to begin with. Love ya babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness, I am laughing tears right now... and I was even there! I'll never forget calling to you "I'm coming Amy! just hang on!!" as we turned all the other kids around and back down the steps of the slide. Oh ho ho ho, best day ever :)(Only because you were SUCH a good sport about it and were laughing about it before you were even all the way out - Love you, friend!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking about the dark maze predicament and of all the things I could have done differently. Like using my phone as a flashlight. I even answered a phone call in the middle of the maze but then promptly put my phone back in my pocket so I could feel my way out of the pitch black maze. I didn't even think of using it as a light to find my way out. That saying "hindsight is 20/20" has never been so true for me. And to top it all off Connor keeps telling people that his mother doesn't listen to God. I will never live this down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Conner that i funny!---sorry Amy---lololo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the best picture of you on your phone retelling that story ..you're a great sport Amy, but we will be careful to keep you away from dark mazes in the future. ;D

    ReplyDelete