Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Jesus Bandaid

Hello friends, it's been a while but I am back. I have no excuse for my absence so don't expect one. Here is a little story from my childhood for you to enjoy.

I can't remember how old I was when the "Jesus band aid" incident occurred, but I was young enough to still think band aids were awesome, but old enough to remember this incident and therefore be scarred for life. I was at home with the babysitter, I can't remember who it was. I have tried to remember her face but it's all blurry in my mind, I must have blocked it out. I was playing and somehow had gotten a little owie on my arm. I remember thinking to myself, "Yes! Now I can have a band aid!" Don't you remember when you were a kid and you would walk down the band aid aisle and see all the wonderful different band aids there were; and you just couldn't wait for the opportunity to get to wear one of those cool band aids? Please tell me I am not the only child who thought this way. Moving on.

So I go bounding to the babysitter to show her my owie and get my well deserved cool band aid. So she takes me in the bathroom and cleans up my little, pretty much insignificant owie and then says something that will forever change my life. "Do you want one of these band aids or a Jesus band aid." Wait a minute, what in the world is  a Jesus band? Those certainly don't sound cool to me. Don't get me wrong, I love Jesus, but my little child mind just couldn't picture a Jesus band aid having anything really cool on it. I mean really, it would probably just have praying hands or maybe sandals, or Jesus' face on it. I'm sorry, but when compared to rainbow brite it just doesn't compare! So I sat and thought for a moment, but I just knew I had to choose the Jesus band aid. I didn't want my babysitter to get mad at me, and I certainly didn't want to upset Jesus that I didn't choose his band aid. "I guess I'll take the Jesus band aid," I said. So she looks at my owie and says, "Okay then, you're all done." Wait a second, what about my band aid? Apparently a Jesus band aid is no band aid at all! It's imaginary or some such nonsense. I sat there in the bathroom feeling tricked and betrayed. I have a genuine flesh wound and I don't even get a band aid for it. I should have chose the rainbow brite or whatever band aid it was. I may have had guilt for not choosing Jesus, but at least I would have had a band aid! And I am sorry, but I don't think Jesus would like his name attached to this kind of trickery. Now I would have to wait until the next time I got hurt to get a band aid and who knew when that would be. My situation was hopeless. And now anytime the word band aid is mentioned I think of the Jesus band aid that was really no band aid at all and I feel the despair all over again.

So my dear friends, please heed my warning and always choose the other band aid, even if it's just a plain old boring beige one.

I think I may need therapy.

Have great day my friends and consider yourself warned.

4 comments:

  1. I bet the Rainbow Brite bandaid would have been more absorbent than Jesus'. You're going to have to remember who this babysitter was - she's probably still out there traumatizing little kids with pretend bandaids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it wasn't me Any. I would have given you the band aid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally my wonderful "first born" sussed out what was blocking me posting a comment ( she probably needs to help your Mom now ) So yay for that..but sorry about your harrowing band aid experience ..when I was small they didn't even have colors !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son was going on and on tonight about needing a "bandage" (he never says bandaid) for a nonexistent owie. I thought about offering him a Jesus bandaid but remembered the trauma you're still living with and didn't do it.

    ReplyDelete